Hesitation Stockings, Hestiation Shoes

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Hockey, Finally

Well, I had a funny chat with R tonight on Yahoo messenger. First time we have spoken in quite a while. And she was being quite angry and not saying much and then, out of the blue she said:

listen Rick
here's the deal
i may be having sex with another
but it wont matter to u
cos I want a baby again with u
and
we can have sex
is that ok?

This position was modified so that she would simply get pregnant with another local fellow and have the second child without my involvement if I made any fuss, or put forward any conditions of my own. Plus she doesn't want to get married to me. Plus, she won't come to Canada, not even to get pregnant. As the discussion went on, more and more conditions came out. It was a bit odd.

I had to run over to Overlander Sports to get straps for my shinguards for hockey while this discussion was going on with Ranu.

Then, just as I was about to go out the door, S. came on line. I hadn't noticed at first. Then, when I contacted her, she said she was talking to her Dad. Might have been. Or it might have been ****.

So, then off to hockey.

It is funny. My hockey bag tells a tale: first of all, the last time I used it was to go down to Yelapa to visit Deb in March of 2002 (who prefered and prefers Mexico over Alaska, hot weather over cold weather). It still has the Airtransat tag on it. Secondly, I haven't actually used the gear at all for about 10 years, and that was only a time or two with the boys at Bonaparte in '93 or '94. Similarly, I played a game or two with the boys in Inuvik in the early '90s. Otherwise, it was way back in the '80s at SFU that I last played with any regularity. With Perry Lofstrum and Buchannan and Mario and Peter the speedy accountant (who I saw later in Kamloops, oddly enough).

The bag is heavy. I had to walk to the arena. It is about minus 22 below right now, but luckily no wind at all, so it is not unpleasant out. I am wearing my insulated winter snow boots. Which are odd in that they feel kind of like great big slippers. They don't fit your feet very tightly. There are two separate bits to them, including an inner insulated thing that can come right out of the boot, if necessary.

I had to walk three blocks over to Franklin Street. It is the main street and has lots of car traffic on a Saturday night around dinner time. It is just after 5:00 pm and it is fully dark. I shift the bag over the other shoulder at Franklin and turn left, and walk along Franklin for about a dozen blocks, past the Northen United Place (which has the United church, and past the offices of landlord - Northern Property, and past the ball field, and around a corner, and past a gas station and then to the CBC building -- and the rink and the pool are across the street. So I made it there. That was the first victory.

I met the fellow Hendrik right away and he was pleasant. I was first on the casual list I think and anyway, when 5:45 came around I was able to get dressed and play.

It went okay. But I got quite winded. I was short of breath at times and had to spit up quite a bit of stuff when I was on the bench. I got quite tired and I hadn't really tightened my skates up very well and they were already playing when I got onto the ice, so I didn't really have any time to adjust my skates. So as the game went on my skating detoriated a bit I suppose.

But I did fine, scored a couple of goals and generally wasn't out of place. However, my defensive work, the backchecking, really suffered because of my tiredness. And so I felt like I wasn't really playing.

Then, after the hockey was over, I had a shower at the rink as I was drenched in sweat. Only 10 players aside, so I got lots of ice-time. Then I had to walk back home. The bag felt heavier on the way back. The moon is almost full tonight and it made a bit ring in the half clouds that are filling the absolutely calm air.

A fellow in the dressing room commented on my old skates, which I got in around 1977 or so.

So, lots of exercise today! And off to the gym in the morning.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home