Hesitation Stockings, Hestiation Shoes

Sunday, June 26, 2005

Movie & September Morning

Watched Sideways with Sa. Very nice. Pork chops for dinner.

Three bottles of wine consumed.

At one point I described the reader page with the "Dick and Jane" style colour illustrations of students moving up towards an archetypical schoolhouse (from the '50s, but the archetype is not confined to that era). Students walking in twos and threes, no cars, but as well a lone bike rider or two (a dog as well??). I told her how I identified with the 10 or 11 year old boy on the bike. Falling leaves. How the introductory chapter of the reader was supposed to be, I think, cheery and optomistic about a new school year, but how for me it became -- either instantly or with the passage of time, I can't be sure -- a melancholy image. How it represents both the death of the summer, but also (and here I think I fell down under the influence of the wine) the transitory nature of the real school year, and then years. How one is propelled out the other end of that abstraction of school, into the peculiar singularity of one's banal and oh too solid life, while the colourful characters (the literally colourful characters) in the illustration need never fear that ultimate death. They live in the endless soft sunlight of that September morning.

In Sideways - the unpublishable book is about a man carrying for his father after a stroke. Maybe I should keep faith with Miles and write it? All about Tsawwassen of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home