Hesitation Stockings, Hestiation Shoes

Sunday, October 24, 2004

New Book

I have put Oscar and Lucinda aside for a time -- not out of any unhappiness with the book, but Lucinda seems to have picked out the ungainly Oscar out to the object of her affections on the Leviathen as they steam towards Australia and I feel comfortable that I can pick up this excellent novel again easily -- in order to read Sir Vidia's Shadow by Paul Theroux. I haven't heard much of Mr. Theroux before, and this seems to have been a lacuana in my reading which I hope to set aright before too long. I made the mistake of dipping into the book, which is filled with personal information about VS Naipaul, whose many books I quite adore, and now it is another temptation I can't ignore.

(Is there a spell checker in this thing? At least I have my dictionaries now unpacked and waiting calmly on the bookshelf for moments such as this. "aright"? Is that a word? It is an oral word, but it is a written word?)

85.5 kilos today despite breaking into the halloween candy bag.

Bought copper pot scrubbing coils today on the way back from the gym. Extra foods is open on Sunday, 10 to 6. Slowly finding out more and about Yellowknife.

S came on-line and then went invisible.

Laundry in, dishes dirty, floor needing vacuuming (which I will very much enjoy once I get underway), but all I want to do is read my new book. It is fun to read things that Theroux did with Naipaul which I recognize very easily as scenes from his books. In A Free State I think.

Can't forget the library this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home